I’ve been using turmeric toothpaste instead of store-bought toothpaste for several weeks now. I’ve heard that it will whiten your teeth, and I can’t say I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in the color of my teeth.. but my gums are definitely less inflamed than they used to be. Chalk that up to the antibacterial and anti-inflammation properties of coconut oil and turmeric, respectively.
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 generous Tbsp coconut oil – not melted (optional: whip it first – this keeps the oil from solidifying all the way if your home is cold – but I’ve tried it both ways and it works fine at room temperature either way)
- 4-5 drops peppermint essential oil (optional, for taste)
1. Using a fork, mix baking soda and turmeric together in a glass bowl (once wet, the turmeric will stain plastic and could stain light-colored ceramics, so be careful & wash immediately) – make sure there are no clumps in your soda/turmeric mixture.
2. Add coconut oil and peppermint oil and mix everything together very well until smooth. This might take a few minutes. (It’s easier if you use an electric mixer, but a fork or whisk works fine too.)
3. Store in a squeezable tube (like this) or a 4+ oz glass jar.
To brush your teeth, either squeeze it onto your toothbrush or dip your toothbrush into the jar. Don’t place under running water, but otherwise, brush like normal. Make sure you rinse your toothbrush off throughly with hot water afterward to remove the coconut oil as best you can. The turmeric will stain your toothbrush. That’s just part of it.
This definitely doesn’t taste like your typical, sweet, minty store-bought toothpaste, but the taste is not unpleasant. If you end up trying this, let me know what you think!