Kirby wrote a blog post a while back about the foods she eats all the time. For some reason, that idea stuck with me and for the past few months, I’ve been thinking about what foods I rely on. Here’s what I came up with.
1. Boiled Eggs
Boiled eggs are easy to batch cook, they’re portable, healthy, and yummy. I like to mix up the way I eat ’em so I don’t get too tired of them:
- a bit of pink himalayan salt
- a splash of soy sauce (I recently switched from soy to coconut aminos because of a suspected soy allergy)
- a splash of worcestershire sauce (I know it sounds weird but it’s good)
- egg salad (cut up eggs and mix with mayo, onion, and spices)
- making a lazy-girl’s deviled egg (cut egg in half, spread a thin layer of mayo, a squirt of brown mustard, a sprinkle of paprika or turmeric, salt, & pepper).
Avocados are good with almost anything, they’re full of “good fat,” and I just love the taste. Here’s how I like to eat them:
- as a side to anything, sliced with a sprinkle of salt & pepper, sometimes turmeric
- on top of grain-free walnut bread toast, with goat cheese & olive oil or honey
- with sauerkraut in the hole
- mashed into guacamole
3. Almond Butter
In a pinch, a spoonful of almond butter will tide me over between meals. It’s also my primary “dessert” right now. Besides right off the spoon, though, I’ll also eat AB with:
- a tart apple
- banana, cacao nibs, and honey (SO decadent)
- in smoothies (as a thickener & sweetener)
- spread on walnut bread
What foods do you rely on?