Josh and I are going to Florida tomorrow to celebrate our sixth anniversary! Despite being sick, I’ve been preparing for this trip all week in the hope that I wouldn’t be too overwhelmed the night before we leave. I thought I might share my packing process for those of you who are procrastinators like me:
1. A few days before your trip, do the laundry so that all your favorite clothes are available.
2. Make a mental note of what you want to take while you’re folding. Definitely don’t put these items aside yet, though.
3. Completely forget about your mental list and wear whatever you want like normal in the days leading up to your trip.
4. The night before your departure, realize that you wore several of the items you had intended to take with you.
5. Run another load of laundry. NOW set your desired items aside as you fold.
6. Once you’ve put your unneeded clothes in their proper places, go through the drawers that you just topped off with the items you don’t want – dig under those and pick out the rest of your vacation wardrobe from what was already in your drawers.
7. Grab way, way more than you’ll need.
8. Lay out everything and make sure you’ve chosen clothes that will fulfill your needs during the trip. It’s helpful if everything goes together so you’ll have completed outfits.
9. Become overwhelmed, give up halfway through, and just throw everything into your suitcase. You can figure it out while you’re on vacation.
10. Tell yourself that taking extra clothes is prudent in case of spills! It’ll be fine!
If you want some REAL packing tips, Sarah wrote a pretty great post full of actually helpful packing tips a few weeks ago. Highly recommend it.